Most inflatable kayaks don’t have the strength to take on Class III rapids, or are they built with materials to last for years of exposure to sun and water. When they do, they can be extremely expensive. But the Airhead Montana is a surprisingly affordable alternative to some of the other quality but high priced inflatables.
In this post, we’ll give you our Airhead Montana review and explore some of the reasons why it’s such a popular option for people looking for a cheap kayak to buy.
Overview of the Airhead Montana
The Airhead Montana is a 9 foot inflatable kayak that can comfortably hold a large adult or up to 300 lb of weight. It’s designed for lakes and moderate white water being built with a semi-rigid PVC construction and a tubular I-beam floor, with 4 bottom fins and tri-laminate reinforcements on the bottom, making it exceptionally durable.
The high quality construction, with stainless steel and nylon hardware, means that this inflatable can last for years of use, giving you all the portability and convenience of an inflatable with great ruggedness and durability.
- Length: 9ft
- Width: 32″
- Weight: 27.7 lb (dry)
- Max weight capacity: 300lb
Construction and build
The Airhead Montana is an inflatable kayak being made of heavy gauge PVC designed to be durable and take the knocks and scrapes of whitewater. It’s been treated with both UV and water resistant coatings to ensure it doesn’t fade in the sunlight.
As you’d expect to see on a quality inflatable kayak, the Montana has three air chambers. This is an essential feature for safety as if you suffer a puncture out on the water you won’t sink as the other two chambers should still be intact. It also has the added benefit of meaning extra stability and weight capacity but at the expense of a little longer time to inflate.
Speaking of inflation, when it comes to how long it takes to set up, the Airhead Montana is very easy to inflate and take down, and can be done in less than 10 minutes with a pump. It has three boston valves for convenient and quick inflation. But, the pump isn’t included so you will need to buy one separately.
Other features include spray covers at both ends to prevent splashes filling up inside. If they do though it has a threaded drain hole and plug which helps when drying it out at the end of your paddle. It also has 6 D-rings so you can attach items to prevent them going over board or for towing the kayak. As far as inflatable kayaks go it’s very lightweight, but even so we were impressed with the strong handles at both ends which help when carrying it down to the water’s edge.
Comfort wise it comes with a good inflatable seat with a back that will give you some back support out on the water. It has adjustable foot rests too which was nice to see. It probably is a little small for larger kayakers, but they have a tandem version which might suit big and tall kayakers as that is a little longer, plus it has a weight capacity of 500 lb.
When it comes to performance the Airhead Montana really excels as it has very low drag and four skegs on the bottom of the kayak which help to aid tracking and keep you in a straight line. But, a handful of customers have reported that these have arrived damaged during delivery so make sure to check yours as soon as it arrives.
Airhead Montana 2 person kayak
- Airhead Montana Travel kayaks are Inflatable kayaks that are perfect for camping, vacationing, exploring remote areas, and...
- Designed for lakes and moderate white water, this two person inflatable kayak is lightweight, compact, and portable
- All 3 air chambers are completely enclosed by rugged 840-denier nylon with UV and water-resistant coatings
As well as the solo version, the Airhead Montana is available as a tandem inflatable kayak if you plan to go out with a friend on the water. It has all the features of the solo kayak, but is 12 feet long and has a 500lb weight capacity. It’s only a small amount more than the solo version so if in doubt we recommend going for it.
- Strong and durable – It can be used on up to class III rapids
- Comfortable – Good inflatable seat that’s comfy and has adjustable food rest
- Quick set up – Be ready to go in 10 minutes or less
- Good tracking – Four skegs included which give it great tracking and performance on the water
- Drain hole – Let out water from the inside of the kayak with the drainage hole
- Affordable – Very reasonably priced for a good quality kayak
- Pump is not included – You’ll need to purchase a pump separately to use this kayak
- Paddles not included – You’ll also need to buy a paddle for this kayak
- Not great skeg – A few customers have reported the skegs have arrived damaged on delivery
- 9-foot, 1-man inflatable kayak; designed for lakes and moderate white water
- All 3 air chambers are completely enclosed by rugged 840-denier nylon with
- Lightweight, compact, and portable
All in all, we really like the Airhead Montana and it’s definitely one of the most durable inflatable kayaks in its price range. It’s durable, great looking, affordable and has all the features that we look for when picking an inflatable kayak. Plus, if you’re looking for a 2-person inflatable kayak it comes in a tandem version which is not much more. Well worth the money and an easy kayak for us to recommend.