Finding a good solution to leaving your kayak on the floor is important to keeping it in the best condition and not getting scratches or knocked when you’re not using it. One option is to use a kayak rack to keep it out of the way and safe in the garage.
In this post, we review some of the best kayak storage racks available and look at some of the pros and cons of them.
Best Rated Storage Racks For Kayaks: At A Glance
Kayak Storage Rack Reviews
Having looked at a lot of the options on the market, here are some of the best and most convenient racks for storing your kayaks or SUPs at home.
#1. Ajillis 71 Kayak Storage Rack
Our favorite option was the Ajillis 71 kayak storage rack which is able to hold up to 6 different kayaks so is an ideal option if you have a large family each with their own one. Totally stress free to assemble and can be done easily by someone on their own.
It’s remarkably easy to It’s incredibly durable and sturdy being made with strong steel that will keep your kayaks safe and secure when in storage. The arms are all completely padded to prevent scratches and they can be easily removed for cleaning too. We liked that it has four caster wheels to make moving it around simple even when it’s fully loaded with six kayaks. The only downside is that it can be a little difficult putting kayaks on the top racks, especially on your own but with a little help from a willing participant you won’t have any trouble. Easily the best rack on the market and highly recommend.
#2. RAD Sportz Deluxe Heavy Duty Kayak Rack
- ►ALL METAL RACK - Our Deluxe Kayak Rack will withstand rigorous use year after year. Powder Coated finish and UV protected...
- ►HOLDS TWO KAYAKS - Will hold two kayaks or stand up paddle boards with ease. No one wants to find their favorite kayak or...
- ►VERSATILITY - Can be used indoors or outdoors, the padded arms are UV protected to protect form sunny days in the summer that...
Another great option for storing your kayaks at home is the RadSportz Deluxe Heavy Duty rack which is built to be able to hold two kayaks. Again, it’s a strong and durable rack being made out of steel and powder coated to prevent it from rust if it gets wet from the kayaks. It’s also has UV protection so is a good option if you plan on storing your kayaks outside as it won’t fade in the sun.
Easy to assemble and to get the kayaks on and off, even alone. Plus, it has a high weight capacity and can hold kayaks up to 175lbs. The one downside for us was that it didn’t have wheels but for most people that won’t be a problem.
#3. SPAREHAND Freestanding Dual Storage Rack
- Heavy duty freestanding storage rack made of tubular steel for 2 kayaks or SUPs
- Zero tools required for assembling—ready in minutes
- Cradle arms are spaced 35" apart and are heavily padded for protection from scratches and damage
If you’re looking for a really simple no thrills rack then this freestanding dual storage rack from Sparehand could be a good option. Made from Tubular steel it’s able to hold up to 90lbs on the top storage rack and 120lbs on the bottom. The arms that cradle the kayaks are padded too so to prevent it from wearing out from scratches over the years.
We particularly liked how easy it was to assemble requiring no tools to put together. Sadly it doesn’t have any wheels however you can purchase them separately if you do want to make it more portable. If keeping it outside we’d advise securing it down as it can sway a bit if left in a windy area.
#4. Best Marine Kayak Storage Racks
- HOW ARE WE DIFFERENT? - Our storage racks are made from heavy duty powder coated steel with nylon covered foam padding. They’re...
- WHY BEST MARINE AND OUTDOORS? - Our company goal and mission is to help people find inner peace and purpose through kayaking. When...
- WHO ARE OUR STORAGE RACKS FOR? - Our wall hangers are for people looking for a simple, strong solution to protecting and storing...
One option a little different from the others we’ve looked at so far is the Best Marine Kayak Storage rack which is a wall mount to store kayaks. It’s made from powder coated steel with the cradle arms being covered with foam nylon padding to prevent scratches and damaging the body of your kayak. They don’t require any assembly but it will take a little bit of time to install.
Each arm has straps to prevent your kayak from falling and getting damaged and the fact that it doesn’t take up any floor space is another pro that could make it a good option.
#5. StoreYourBoard Kayak Ceiling Rack
- DOUBLE CEILING STORAGE: 2 sided rack gives you 2x kayak storage capacity
- HEAVY DUTY STEEL: for kayak storage to 150lbs (75 lbs per side)
- WHAT KAYAKS WILL IT FIT? up to 18" thick storage and options for 25" or 30" wide arms will fit a variety of kayaks, from...
If floor space is a luxury you don’t have then this storage rack from Store Your Board could be the answer. It’s a ceiling rack that means it takes up zero space on the ground with the kayaks being stored over head. The two kayak support arms are padded and adjustable to allow you to fit all types of kayaks and SUP. On the ends of the support arms are locking pins to stop it from slipping out and falling down ensuring they’re completely safe.
The one downside is they can be a little tricky to install if you don’t know what you’re doing, but if you’re a little bit handy it shouldn’t take long with some customers reporting it only took 5 minutes!