Most people love inflatable kayaks for the ease and convenience of taking them from place to place, but the Sevylor Quikpak K5 kayak takes portability to a whole new level. This set unfolds from a backpack, converting the backpack itself into a seat and skirt, and then the whole kayak converts back up into the backpack when you are done. With room for the included pump and paddles, this pack is an incredibly lightweight, efficient, convenient way to enjoy your favorite water activities anywhere, any time.
- 5-minute setup lets you spend more time on the water
- Easy-to-carry backpack system turns into the seat
- 24-gauge PVC construction is rugged for lake use
- Tarpaulin bottom and polyester cover provide durable protection from punctures
- Multiple air chambers allow another chamber to stay inflated if one is punctured
Overview Quikpak K5 Kayak
For more adventurous kayakers, it’s not always possible to drive a car up to a convenient boat launch. In fact, in some areas, you may want to hike or bike to your favorite lake or pond, so having an extremely light, compact inflatable kayak that packs down into an all-in-one backpack is a fantastic solution.
The Sevylor Quikpak K5 one-person kayak is a rugged inflatable kayak that can go anywhere, with the included paddles and pump that back neatly together into the pack. It takes just minutes to set up, for an incredibly easy, durable, fun way to enjoy water no matter where you are.
- Inflated size – 10 feet x 2 feet 10 inches
- Deflated size – Fits into the included backpack
- Weight – 25.5 pounds
- Weight capacity – 1 person/250 pounds
- Certifications – NMMA® certified
What did we like about how it’s made?
- Rugged materials – 24-gauge PVC construction is rugged and durable. The tarpaulin bottom and polyester cover provide extra protection from punctures and abrasions.
- 3 air chambers – Multiple air chambers allow another chamber to stay inflated if one is punctured, and improves safety and stability.
- Leak-proof – Airtight® System is guaranteed not to leak.
- Locking valves – Double Lock™ valves use two locking points for easy inflation/deflation.
What we like about the design
- Spray covers – Built-in spray covers block splashes to help keep you dry.
- D-Rings – Integrated are an easy way to attach cargo and other equipment.
- Cargo space – Secure storage areas let you safely store items with bungees.
- Rugged carry handles – Carry handles on the front and back of the boat make it easy to carry in and out of the water, with a comfortable textured grip.
- Simple setup – 5-minute setup lets you spend more time on the water,
- Highly portable – Easy-to-carry backpack system turns into the seat.
What accessories are included?
- Hand Pump – The Sevylor Quikpak K5 comes with a hand pump for inflation.
- Paddle – It comes with a paddle that disassembles for easy portability.
How to Use the Sevylor Quikpak K5
For those familiar with inflatable kayaks, the setup of the Sevylor Quikpak K5 isn’t a challenge at all. The valves are numbered, and the air pump is included, and the kayak inflates in just a few minutes.
For those who haven’t done it before, the instructions in the Sevylor Quikpak K5 aren’t great. The manual calls for inflation to specific PSIs, but doesn’t include a PSI gauge with the product. The overview instructions say to inflate the floor chamber, then the DIN chamber, then the outside main chamber. The step-by-step instructions tell you to inflate the outside main chamber, then the DIN chamber, then the floor chamber, which can be a bit confusing.
YouTubers S’more Camping with the Schraggs have made a video of their own setup and pack down of the Sevylor Quikpak K5, and it’s extremely useful as an overview of the process. Watching the process helps to clarify what may be lacking in the written instructions, and gives you a good idea of what to expect when you unpack the kayak for the first time.
The backpack not only contains the kayak, but has room and attachment points for other cargo, so you can easily make it work with everything you need for a hike or bike ride.
Fast and simple to inflate and set up
The simple, intuitive inflation and setup of the Sevylor Quikpak K5 can have you on the water in just minutes.
Likewise, when it’s inflated as a kayak, there is ample storage for water bottles, a small cooler, and other gear you need outdoors.
With its rugged construction and spray covers, you can feel comfortable taking the Sevylor Quikpak K5 into a wide range of lakes and calm rivers.
Isn’t very comfortable
The backpack seat, while clever and convenient, isn’t comfortable for long excursions.
Difficult to pack down and store correctly
Because the cover isn’t waterproof, and the kayak has no drain hole, it can be time-consuming to dry and re-pack the kayak. When wet and re-packed, it is much heavier to carry.
Doesn’t track well
The Sevylor Quikpak K5 doesn’t perform very well in the water. Because it doesn’t track well, it requires a lot of constant paddling and effort to steer.
Included paddle isn’t great
The included paddle isn’t very rigid or durable.
In order to make the most of your Sevylor Quikpak K5, there are a few improvements or accessories to consider.
Because the kayak should be inflated to the specific PSI, it’s a good idea to get a PSI gauge for accuracy.
Improved Air Pump
A lot of people don’t love hand pumps, and they can be more cumbersome than necessary to transport. A foot pump, like the Airhead foot pump can be easier to use than a hand pump, and packs down into a smaller size and lighter weight for carrying in the pack or in the kayak.
If you plan on using the paddle that comes with the Sevylor Quikpak K5, the grip isn’t comfortable and may cause blisters. A pair of kayak gloves are extremely light and easy to carry, and help allow you to use the included paddle over long periods without discomfort. The Fishing Tree Fingerless Gloves are fantastic for all kinds of water activities. They have a unisex design and a wide range of sizes to fit almost anyone. The extra layer of leather on the palms provides improved grip and padding without reducing control and feel, and the breathable back dissipates heat and moisture. Even better, these gloves have SPF protection of over 50 woven in to the fabric, so it never washes off.
Because the Sevylor Quikpak K5 is designed for remote adventures, and doesn’t come with a repair kit, it’s always a good idea to keep one with you in the event of a leak or puncture. The Sea Eagle Small Repair Kit is tiny and takes up almost no space in the pack or on the kayak, and may be essential in an emergency.
Sevylor started out as a small company that built electrical accessories in post-WWII France. They invented a way to use their high-frequency welding machines on PVC, and experienced tremendous international success with an inflatable bathtub in 1949.
Since then the company has specialized in high quality PVC inflatable products, with an emphasis on making inflatable boats, kayaks, and canoes that are both fun and practical.
In 2004, Sevylor became one of the Newell Brands, which also owns Coleman and other outdoor brands.
The Sevylor Quikpak K5 is the perfect inflatable kayak for hikers, bikers, campers, and those who want to leave the car behind. With its easy backpack carrying case and light weight, it can go anywhere you do, and take your outdoor adventures to a whole new level. It’s also a fantastic gift for the nature lover in your life, opening up whole new avenues of exploration and connection to the outdoors. With the Sevylor Quikpak K5, you can have all the fun of a fully functional, durable, one-person kayak with the kind of portability and ease you never imagined.