The Driftsun Rover 220 Inflatable Whitewater Kayak is a tandem kayak ready for any adventure you have in store. At just 28 pounds and only 9 minutes inflation time, you can take it anywhere and be set up and on the water in mere minutes. With reinforced layered materials and heavy duty construction, it can handle almost any water conditions up to Class IV rapids. And with a massive 600 pound capacity, it has plenty of room for 2 adults and a child, pet, or fishing and camping gear to take anywhere. With thoughtful design details and high quality in every aspect, the Driftsun Rover 220 is the versatile, simple, rugged kayak of your dreams.
- Durable & Lightweight - Fully inflates to a full sized kayak in less than 5 minutes and weighs a manageable 22 Lbs. 1000D Reinforced Layered PVC side tubes, Heavy-duty PVC Tarpaulin bottom provides...
- Stable & Maneuverable - Rigid High Pressure Drop Stitch Floor, Removable Flat Water Tracking Fin, and ample rocker profile deliver unmatched stability and control in rough and flat water
- Adventure Ready - Whitewater Rating: Suitable up to class III and IV rapids, 5 Self Bailing Ports, Plentiful Tie Down Points for Gear and Front Action Camera Mount
- Included - Adjustable EVA Padded Seat with High Back Support, Adjustable 2-Piece Aluminum Kayak Paddle, Deluxe Double Action Hand Pump, Rear Tracking Fin, and Travel Bag.
- Kayak Specifications - Exterior: 8.5’(L) x 36”(W) x 13”(H) / Weight: 22 Lbs. / Capacity: 300 Lbs. / Inflation Time: 9 Mins. / Inflation Pressure: 3 PSI Side Tubes & 6 PSI Floor
Overview of the Driftsun Rover 220 Inflatable Kayak
The Driftsun Rover 220 is an inflatable tandem kayak with surprising versatility. The generous 12 foot length and 600 pound weight capacity make it easy to use with the family, and it performs equally well on flat or rough waters. It is made of layered and reinforced PVC, with a rigid high pressure floor that gives excellent stability and withstands dog claws and other abrasions.
Even though it is family friendly, the Driftsun Rover 220 is built for adventure, with 8 self-bailing ports, high pressure valves, corrosion resistant hardware, and a profile that can handle rough waters. It is rated for Class III and Class IV rapids, and even has a camera mount so you can capture all your adventures without an awkward helmet mount.
And when you’re done, the Driftsun Rover 220 can simply be packed away into the included carry bag, so there’s no need for difficult transportation or storage.
- Inflated size – 12 feet 5 inches x 38 inches x 13 inches
- Deflated size – 24.5 inches x 21 inches x 10 inches
- Weight – 28 pounds
- Weight capacity – 2 people/600 pounds
- Whitewater Rating – Suitable up to class III and IV rapids
What did we like about how it’s made?
- Robust side tube – 1000D reinforced layered PVC side tubes that inflate to 3 PSI, protecting you from obstacles and side impacts in whitewater
- Heavy-duty floor – Heavy-duty PVC tarpaulin bottom provides durable protection from punctures
- Rigid floor – The rigid high pressure drop stitch floor inflates to 6 PSI for excellent rigidity that gives great stability and improves tracking.
- High-quality valves – The high pressure Halkey Roberts valves resist leaks
- High-quality hardware – Corrosion resistant hardware provides years of durability
- Multiple air chambers – 3 air chambers improve safety and the longevity of the kayak
What we like about the design
- Removable skeg – The removable flat water tracking fin improves tracking in still waters, but can be taken off for rough or shallow water.
- Streamlined shape – The rocker profile and pointed nose improve performance in both calm and choppy waters
- Self-bailing – The 8 self-bailing ports are perfect for whitewater rafting, and also great for quickly drying the kayak after use.
- Storage – The Driftsun Rover 220 has numerous tie down points for gear, and additional storage in the front and rear bungee compartments
- Camera mount – The front action camera mount lets you capture all the action
- Comfortable seats – The high quality EVA foam padded seats have high back support for hours of comfortable cruising
- Paddle straps – Side straps secure your paddles when not in use.
- Splash guard – Splash guards help the kayak not take on too much water.
- Carrying handles – The 4 fixed handles make it easy to carry or tow
- Inflates in less than 10 minutes – The Driftsun Rover 220 is incredibly fast and easy to inflate and set up.
- Foot rests – The removable and adjustable foot rests provide greater comfort and stability when paddling
What accessories are included?
- Paddles – It comes with 2 adjustable 2-piece anodized aluminum kayak paddles with an ergonomic grip and drip guards.
- Pump – It also includes a deluxe high-flow double-action pump.
- Travel bag – Everything packs neatly into the included travel bag.
Tell me the pros
Lightweight and compact
At just 28 pounds, this full-sized kayak is ultra-portable and easy to take, store, and use almost anywhere.
Rugged and durable
The rugged layered PVC construction provides excellent durability and protection from impacts and abrasions.
The spray skirts, drain holes, rugged hull, and rigid floor make the Driftsun Rover 220 perfect for up to Class IV rapids.
Front camera mount
The front camera mount is perfect for capturing and sharing your adventures.
Generous space and weight capacity
With plenty of leg room for two adults, and a weight capacity of up to 600 pounds, the Driftsun Rover 220 provides ample room for additional cargo.
Comfortable seating and adjustable foot rests
The EVA seats and adjustable foot rests provide lasting comfort.
Complete kit in one package
Because it comes with the pump, paddles, and carrying bag, there’s nothing more to buy to enjoy this kayak.
What about the cons
Although the Driftsun Rover 220 has a lot of tie-down points, there isn’t much cargo space. This can be a problem, because securing large items with tie-downs can unbalance the kayak. While unbalanced loads may not be much of a problem in still water, in white water, or when traveling with a child or a pet, and unbalanced load can be more problematic.
The Driftsun Rover 220 is on the expensive side for comparable inflatable kayaks. However most inflatables aren’t rugged enough for white water, and don’t have as heavy-duty a weight rating and high-quality materials. If you need a rugged kayak that can handle rough water, the Driftsun Rover 220 is a good investment.
A repair kit
Because the Driftsun Rover 220 doesn’t come with a repair kit, and particularly because it’s designed for rough water, you should get a repair kit and keep it in the kayak at all times. It’s a good idea to put together a basic inflatable kayak emergency kit, so that you’ll have everything if you need it.
Driftsun doesn’t make one, but the Sea Eagle Repair Kit for 1000D PVC boats will work.
Based in Northern California, Driftsun was founded in 2014 by a team of innovators and outdoor enthusiasts who wanted to share their love of nature and water with the world. Their products are designed and tested to the highest standards, with the passion and creativity Driftsun has become known for.
The company also adheres to a high standard of ethics, complying with local and international standards of ethics that monitor and prevent their entire supply chain from using conflict minerals, and that promote human rights. They are committed to enforcing ethical standards and transparency with all their customers and suppliers, and doing business the right way.
The team at Driftsun shares a passion for the outdoors with their customers, and can often be found on the local waterways and celebrating group outings. This first-hand experience ensures high quality design and products, and helps them provide world-class customer service.
Summing up the Driftsun Rover 220 Kayak
The Driftsun Rover 220 is an inflatable kayak that is as versatile and adventurous as you are, and it’s a great option for a convenient, portable inflatable whitewater kayak