The Sevylor Colorado is an inflatable kayak specifically designed for fishing, with all the convenience and portability of an inflatable, and all the features and design details that make it a fantastic fishing boat. From the rugged materials and easy setup, to the integrated Berkley Quick Set fishing rod holders and built-in trolling motor fittings, it’s a fantastic way to take your fishing adventures to a whole new level.
Overview Sevylor Colorado Kayak
Most inflatable kayaks are built for simple paddling and exploration, but the Sevylor Coleman Colorado is built from the ground up for fishing.
From the rugged materials and leak-proof design to the discrete colors, integrated fishing rod holders, and built-in trolling motor mount, and finally the ample storage and cargo space and generous weight rating, it’s everything you need for a tandem fishing session. Even better, you can get all this in a lightweight, portable kayak that is easy to use, store, and transport, without the trouble and expense of a hardshell boat.
With the Sevylor Colorado, you don’t need a boat trailer or roof rack, don’t need a garage or large storage area, and don’t even need to go out of your way to find a crowded, busy boat launch. Instead, you can simply store the kayak in the included bag, carry it to anywhere you want to be, and inflate it in just minutes. It’s fantastic for city or apartment dwellers who love day trips for fishing.
- Inflated size – 10 feet 9 inches x 3 feet 3 inches
- Deflated size – 2 feet x 3 feet
- Weight – 41 pounds
- Weight capacity – 2 people/470 pounds
- Certifications – NMMA® certified
What did we like about how it’s made?
- Rugged hull – 18-gauge PVC construction is rugged and perfect for lake use
- Made from durable materials – 1000D tarpaulin bottom and 840D nylon cover provide durable protection from punctures and abrasions
- 3 air chambers – Multiple air chambers allow the kayak to remain buoyant if one chamber is punctured, for improved safety
- Leak-proof – The Sevylor Coleman Airtight® System is guaranteed not to leak
- Heavy-duty valves – The rugged Boston Valves are double threaded for easy inflation/deflation
What we like about the design
- Integrated fishing rod holders – Berkley Quick Set Rod Holders let you adjust your pole angle for enhanced hands-free fishing.
- Built in motor fittings – Sevylor trolling motor fittings expand your fishing capabilities
- Paddle holders – Integrated secure your paddles out of the way when not in use.
- Cargo – Ample cargo space and mesh storage pockets keep gear and snacks close at hand.
- D-Rings – D-rings are an easy way to attach other gear and equipment to the kayak.
- Rugged handles – Carry handles at the front and rear of the kayaks make it easy to carry in and out of the water.
- Supportive seats – The adjustable seats will keep you paddling comfortably the whole trip
- Seat back storage – Pockets on the back of the seats keep needed items convenient and accessible.
- Self-bailing – While the Sevylor Colorado isn’t designed for rough water and has no spray skirts, it is self-bailing and rugged enough to withstand mild white water.
What accessories are included?
- Carry bag – When not in use, the kayak packs down into the included carry bag.
- Pressure gauge – The gauge ensures that you inflate the Sevylor Colorado to the correct PSI.
How to use the Sevylor Colorado
The Sevylor Coleman Colorado comes with detailed inflation instructions, and an air pressure gauge to ensure correct inflation. The air valves are numbered, and should always be inflated in the correct order. Inflate the floor chambers before the sides, to 1.5 PSI each.
It can be helpful to see a video of the inflation and setup of a kayak before purchasing it, to help determine how long or complex a process it is.
Unfortunately, the best YouTube video of the inflation and setup of the Sevylor Coleman Colorado isn’t for the current model of the Colorado kayak. However, it’s still worth watching , as the models aren’t that different, and it’s still a good overview of how it comes together. It’s great that they inflate the kayak in real-time, so you can really see how long it takes the first time. Of course, it’s also good to remember that setup and inflation always gets faster and more streamlined with practice.
Very few inflatable kayaks have motor fittings, making the Sevylor Colorado more convenient and versatile.
Rugged and durable
The high quality, rugged, leak-proof materials ensure that you can use and enjoy this kayak for years to come.
Excellent for fishing
Because the Sevylor Colorado is quiet, lightweight, and has discrete colors, it causes minimal disruption in the water and doesn’t scare fish.
Rod holders get in the way of paddling
The size and placement of the fishing rod holders can interfere with paddling. You might have to remove them when you’re paddling which isn’t ideal.
Not a very durable kayak
Depending on use and storage, the air chambers may begin to change shape over time.
Cockpit isn’t spacious
The Sevylor Coleman Colorado isn’t a very long kayak, so two full-sized adults may find they want more leg room for a long day on the lake.
In order to use the Sevylor Coleman Colorado, you will need an air pump and kayak paddles, and may want to consider a trolling motor.
There are several options for using a motor with this inflatable, and many people have gotten creative with their solutions.
The Sevylor Electric Trolling Motor. This is the motor that is designed to fit the Sevylor Coleman Colorado, so the advantage is that you can use it without a motor mount; you just need this motor and the battery. However, this motor isn’t very durable, and isn’t always available in the US.
If you want to upgrade the motor, you will need a transom, instead of the standard fitting in the Colorado. Sevylor does sell their own motor mount, although it’s not entirely clear whether it fits on the Colorado. Given the fact that the kayak isn’t very long, installing a motor mount will take up a lot of space.
If you install a transom, you may want to consider the Minn Kota Endura Trolling Motor. While there isn’t much space in the Sevylor Coleman Colorado for the more robust Minn Kota Trolling Motor, it’s a great motor for fishing, with rugged construction, excellent battery life, and great control.
Beginning from humble origins as a French company building electrical accessories in the late 1940s, Sevylor has become a premier global brand with an emphasis on fun.
In 1949, Sevylor invented a revolutionary way to use their high-frequency welding machines to weld PVC, creating a whole new generation of inflatable devices and applications. Their inflatable bathtub was an international best seller, and helped the company earn their reputation in inflatable devices. Since then, they have specialized in inflatable boats, kayaks, and canoes.
In 2004, Sevylor joined the family of Newell Brands and forged a new partnership with legendary outdoor equipment brand Coleman, starting a new chapter for people who enjoy all kinds of outdoor recreation.
- 18-gauge PVC construction is rugged for lake use , NMMA certified
- 1000D tarpaulin bottom and 840D nylon cover provide durable protection from punctures
- Multiple air chambers allow another chamber to stay inflated if one is punctured
The Sevylor Coleman Colorado is an excellent inflatable kayak for fishing, with all the features you need to manage your rods and gear, and make the most of your time on the water. It’s rugged and durable, with plenty of cargo space and even fishing rod holders.
Even better, when the day is over, you can simply deflate the boat and store it back in the bag, with no need for roof racks, a boat trailer, or extra garage space. It’s a great way to experience the pleasure of fishing without all the trouble and expense of a traditional kayak.