The Sevylor Fiji 2-Person Kayak is incredibly compact and lightweight for a tandem kayak, even for an inflatable. It weighs just 22 pounds but is rated for two adults and can carry up to 400 pounds.
It’s a fun, sporty kayak that is an excellent choice for young and beginning kayakers, due to its stability, ease of setup, ease of getting in and handling, and excellent safety features. While it doesn’t feature in our list for best affordable kayak, it’s still very affordable, convenient, and easy to store when not in use. What’s not to love about this fun little inflatable?
Overview of the Sevylor Fiji
- Type: 2-person inflatable kayak
- Size: Inflated dimensions 10’4” x 2’9”
- Weight: 22 pounds
- Weight capacity: 400 pounds
- Materials: 22 gauge PVC
- Seams: RF welded seams
- Valves: Double Lock Fast Valves
- Air chambers: 3
- Rating: Up to Class II white water
- Certification: NMMA certified
Construction and build
The Sevylor Fiji 2-Person Kayak is extremely durable and rugged, with a 22 gauge PVC hull and RF welded seams. It’s built with Sevylor’s Airtight System and is guaranteed not to leak. Multiple air chambers add safety and redundancy to the inflatable system and create a semi-rigid I-beam floor construction.
The Sevylor Fiji 2-Person Kayak is rated for Class I and Class II white water, with spray covers on the bow and stern. It has one fixed seat at the rear, and one removable seat in the middle. It’s incredibly light weight, at just 22 pounds, with built in carrying handles and a grab line.
The double lock valves have two locking points to make inflation and deflation fast and easy, and it’s certified to hold up to 400 pounds.
The Sevylor Fiji 2-Person Kayak comes with a 5-piece touring paddle and a carrying bag.
About the brand: Sevylor
Sevylor has been producing high-quality PVC inflatables since 1948. Founded in France, the company first reached success with inflatable bathtubs and pool mattresses, with unique PVC formulations that held their shape regardless of temperature. In the late ’60s, Sevylor began producing inflatable kayaks, and in the early 1980s, it was bought by the Zodiac group, a company famous for heavy-duty military inflatables.
Today, Sevylor is owned by Newell Brands, headquartered in Atlanta Georgia. Newell owns many of the best brands in inflatables and outdoor recreation, including Aerobed, Coleman, Marmot, and more. The company continues to make some of the most innovative, reliable, and most popular inflatable kayaks in the world.
- Complete set with storage/carrying bag and paddle
- Holds one or two people and up to 400 pounds
- Lightweight and compact
- Extremely rugged and durable
- Rated for up to Class II rapids
- NMMA certified
- Easy to carry
- Guaranteed not to leak
- Multiple air chambers for rigidity and safety
- Fast and easy to inflate and set up
- Adjustable inflatable seats
- Extremely affordable price
- Most people will want to purchase the optional additional skeg, because this kayak does not track well without it
- Seats aren’t very supportive, for those who want more support or need it during harder paddling
- 22-gauge PVC construction is rugged for lake use
- Multiple air chambers allow another chamber to stay inflated if one is punctured
- Airtight System is guaranteed not to leak
The Sevylor Fiji 2-Person Kayak is a great tandem kayak for beginners and young people who want a safe, affordable, fun kayak for flat water and mild white water. It’s lightweight, portable, easy to carry, set up, store, and travel with. It comes with a paddle and a carrying bag, so it’s a complete kit in one affordable purchase.
More experienced kayakers note that the Fiji 2 does not track well and is inefficient in the water, which can mean a lot of extra paddling to stay on course. And the inflatable seats aren’t very supportive, so some body types may end up leaning back and low in the water, which can get uncomfortable for paddling over time.
However, for a fun, sporty, incredibly accessible beginner’s inflatable kayak, the Fiji 2 is a great choice. It has excellent safety and stability and is durable enough for years of fun on the water.