Few inflatable kayaks have the space to fit three people, but the Sevylor Big Basin 3-Person Kayak has the space and strength to do so with ease. This big inflatable kayak can hold 3 people and a whopping 490 pounds of weight, with a generous 12 foot length for comfort in the cockpit. And yet it deflates down to just a 2 x 3 foot package that is easily stowed in the included carry bag. It’s the perfect inflatable for small families or people with bigger pets, that may not fit into a standard inflatable. The rugged Sevylor Big Basin 3-Person Kayak is affordable, durable, and incredibly convenient.
- Heavy-duty PVC construction is rugged for lake use
- Tarpaulin bottom provides durable protection from punctures
- Multiple air chambers allow another chamber to stay inflated if one is punctured
- Airtight System is guaranteed not to leak
- Boston Valve is double threaded for easy inflation/deflation
Overview of the Sevylor Big Basin 3-Person Kayak
The Sevylor Big Basin 3-Person Kayak is incredibly spacious, with 3 seats and room for 3 adults. For tall people who struggle to be comfortable in a standard inflatable tandem kayak, the Big Basin is a kayak that finally has the leg room you need. It’s also ideal for a small family, keeping everyone safely in the same kayak instead of splitting people into separate kayaks.
The Sevylor Big Basin 3-Person Kayak isn’t just a big inflatable kayak, though. It also has rugged materials and high quality construction for safe enjoyment year after year.
- Inflated size – 12 feet 3 inches x 3 feet 1 inches
- Deflated size – 2 feet x 3 feet
- Weight – 41 pounds
- Weight capacity – 3 people/490 pounds
- Certifications – NMMA certified, and can handle Class II rapids
What did we like about how it’s made?
- Thick hull – The 18-gauge PVC construction is rugged for lake use.
- Abrasion and puncture resistant – 1000D tarpaulin bottom and 840D nylon cover provide durable protection from punctures
- Two air chambers – Multiple air chambers allow another chamber to stay inflated if one is punctured, improving safety and reliability
- Sevylor Airtight® Technology – The Airtight® System is guaranteed not to leak
- Reliable valves – The Boston Valves are double threaded for fast and easy inflation and deflation
What we like about the design
- D-rings on the hull – D-Rings are an easy way to attach other equipment
- Spray covers – Spray covers block splashes to help keep you dry in rougher water conditions
- Paddle holders – Straps on the side hold the paddles when not in use.
- Carry handles – Four carry handles make it easy to transport the kayak when it’s not in the water.
- Removable skeg – The skeg improves tracking and speed in flat water, but can be removed in shallow waters to prevent obstruction.
- Versatile cockpit – The adjustable seats move to fit you, and the cockpit can be configured for up to three people to use comfortably.
What accessories are included?
- Carry bag – The Sevylor Big Basin 3-Person Kayak comes with a rugged bag that easily holds the kayak.
- Pressure gauge – Always ensure that the kayak is inflated correctly with the included pressure gauge
How to use the Sevylor Big Basin
They Sevylor Big Basin 3-Person Kayak is fairly simple to inflate following the included instructions. Simply inflate the floor chamber to 1.5 PSI, measured with the included pressure gauge, and then the side chamber to 1.5 PSI.
Remember that air expands in warm weather, and contracts in cold weather, so if you are using the kayak and experience a temperature change after the initial inflation and setup, you may need to re-check and adjust the air pressure accordingly.
The Sevylor Big Basin 3-Person Kayak has a removable skeg which improves tracking and speed. However, if you ride in shallow waters, the skeg may become dislodged and get lost; some people drill a small hole in the skeg and attach it to the kayak with a cord, to prevent that from happening.
It can be helpful to see a video of the inflation and setup of a kayak before you buy it, so you can see how it works and how long it takes. Unfortunately, there aren’t many good videos online of the Sevylor Big Basin 3-Person Kayak being inflated. However, the Sevylor Big Basin model is extremely similar to their Hudson model, sold in the EMEA region, and there is a Sevylor video showing the inflation of the Hudson 3-person inflatable here:
The video shows how fast and easy it is to inflate the Hudson model, and the exact same process applies to the Big Basin model.
Tell me the pros
Spacious and long
The long, spacious Sevylor Big Basin 3-Person Kayak has room for 3 adults, a small family, a favorite pet, and has a versatile cockpit suitable for a variety of configurations.
High weight rating
Rated for up to 490 pounds, this kayak can hold plenty of people and cargo for outdoor adventures.
Rugged construction with spray cover
The durable hull and tarpaulin cover can withstand impacts and abrasions, and the spray cover gives protection for use in rough water, so the Sevylor Big Basin 3-Person Kayak is suitable for a wide range of calm and white, deep or shallow waters.
What about the cons
Needs a lot of accessories
While the Sevylor Big Basin 3-Person Kayak is a fairly affordable inflatable kayak, it’s not a complete kit. You will need to buy or have one or more air pumps, kayak paddles, and a repair kit in order to enjoy the kayak, so you can’t simply enjoy it right out of the box.
The Sevylor Big Basin doesn’t come with everything you will need to hit the water. Here are a few things to pick up before inflating your new kayak:
For people who frequently use inflatable kayaks, the preferred method of fast inflation is to use two air pumps. They use a 12V electric air pump for the initial inflation, then finesse it to the desired PSI with a foot pump. For a big kayak like the Sevylor Big Basin, even a dual-action hand pump can quickly get tiring. It may seem annoying to have not just one, but two, air pumps, but the other advantage of having a small foot pump is that you can keep it on the kayak with you in case of emergencies.
You’ll need a paddle (or three)
A great option in paddles for the Sevylor Big Basin 3-Person Kayak is the Sea Eagle Easy Pack Kayak Paddle. The generous 7 feet 10 inch kayak paddles give you lots of leverage for easy paddling, and fibrylon blades are rugged and rigid, for greater durability and efficiency in the water.
The aluminum shaft helps the paddle weigh just 2.7 pounds, and it disconnects into four parts for easy packing and storage. The adjustable drip guards and capability for a 65 degree feather angle are great features in a kayak paddle, and it’s an affordable price.
And don’t forget a PVC repair kit and a life vest.
The Sevylor company was born in post WWII France. From their origins as a company that built electrical appliances, everything changed when they discovered a way to use their high-frequency welding machines to weld PVC. These technologies enabled them to create an inflatable bathtub in 1949 that took the world by storm.
From there, Sevylor expanded into a wide range of inflatable boats, kayaks, and canoes, with an emphasis on fun, easy recreational inflatables for enjoying the outdoors, and developed a global presence.
In 2004, the company joined the Newell family of brands, and is now partnered with iconic outdoor brand Coleman. The thriving partnership helps customers get everything they need for reliable, enjoyable outdoor adventures and experiences in nature.
Summing up the Sevylor Big Basin 3-Person Kayak
The big, rugged Sevylor Big Basin is great as it has room for 3 people, which is very rare in the kayaking world. It’s well made with strong, durable materials, has comfortable seating, and a versatile cockpit that lets you truly enjoy your outdoor adventures on the water. It’s great for family vacations, fishing trips, and spontaneous getaways.