If you are new to the world of kayaking, it’s not that easy to decide which kayak you should buy. Like with most things, your first consideration is probably the price point. As a newbie, you probably don’t want to spend too much money, so it’s advised to look at some cheap kayaks first before making a bigger investment down the line.
In this post, we’ve put together a list of what we think are the best inexpensive kayaks in 2020.
The Best Cheap Kayaks of 2020
|1||#1. Intex Explorer K2 Kayak||CURRENT PRICE|
|2||#2. The Sun Dolphin Aruba SS 8 Foot Kayak||CURRENT PRICE|
|3||#3. Intex Challenger K2 Kayak||CURRENT PRICE|
|4||#4. Sevylor Quikpak K1||CURRENT PRICE|
|5||#5. Perception Sound 10.5 Fishing Kayak||CURRENT PRICE|
Our Favorite Affordable Kayak Reviews
Here are our reviews of the best cheap kayaks in 2020 to help you choose the right one for your needs. We’ve drawn the line at around $400 as we think if you’re spending more than that it’s not really a budget kayak.
#1. The Intex Explorer K2
- Comfortable for Anyone: Kayak Includes an Adjustable Inflatable Seat With Backrest; Cockpit Designed for Comfort and Space
- Dimensions: Inflated Size 10 Feet 3 X 3 Feet X 1 Feet 8 Inch; Maximum Weight Capacity: 400 Pounds
- Directional Stability: Removable SKEG for Directional Stability
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly kayak to ‘dip your toe’ into kayaking without breaking the bank then the Intex Explorer K2 could be a good option. It’s a tandem inflatable kayak that is very quick to set up and can carry over 400 pounds of weight.
As it’s an inflatable is so easy to store as it packs down into one backpack which also means it’s very portable and convenient to take with you to more remote locations. It’s super durable as it’s made with heavy-duty puncture-resistant vinyl and so able to withstand a good amount of wear and tear.
Finally, we chose this as our number one choice as it comes with a carry bag, inflatable pump, removable skeg and two paddles so you won’t need to purchase anything else! With over 3000 five star reviews, it’s one of the best selling kayaks ever and makes it into our number one spot for affordable kayaks.
#2. The Sun Dolphin Aruba SS 8 Foot Kayak
- Great for rivers and lakes
- Adjustable padded seat back
- Light weight design easy to carry
In at number two is the very popular Sun Dolphin Aruba SS 8 foot kayak. Unlike the Intex Explorer, it’s a hard shell kayak but is incredibly lightweight weighing only 27 lbs.
It’s very durable and is made from a UV-Stabilized Fortiflex high-density polyethylene meaning it can withstand all the knocks and bumps that are inevitably going to happen on the water. We love that it comes with a very convenient dry compartment to store your valuables and stop them from getting wet. But, sadly it doesn’t come with any accessories so you’ll need to purchase some paddles as well.
But even so, it’s very reasonably priced and is one of the top choices for those looking for a kayak on a budget.
#3. The Intex Challenger K1
- Nimble, durable kayak is made of durable welded material with eye catching graphics for added safety on the lake or slow moving...
- Cockpit is designed for comfort and maximized space, and inflatable I beam floors add stability
- Cargo net to store extra gear, and grab line on both ends of kayak; inflatable seat with backrest
Up next we have another inflatable kayak, the Intex Challenger K1. It’s another very affordable inflatable kayak from world-renown brand Intex. It’s incredibly low cost and probably one of the most affordable ways to get out on the water. It’s made from the same heavy-duty puncture-resistant vinyl as the Explorer and can hold over 200 lbs of weight. It comes with all the accessories you need (carry bag, pump, and paddle) so you’ll be ready to head out and paddle straight away.
#4. Sevylor Quikpak K1
- 5-minute setup lets you spend more time on the water
- Easy-to-carry backpack system turns into the seat
- 21-gauge PVC construction is rugged for lake use
The Sevylor Quickpak K1 is a cheap sit on top kayak which is also inflatable. It’s designed to be used on flat water and could be a good option for someone new to kayaking. It’s very easy to set up and can be blown up in under 5 minutes. It has multiple air chambers to ensure that even if one starts to leak or is punctured you’ll remain afloat. It also considerably comfortable and comes with a seat and backrest for support. Like the other two inflatable kayaks we’ve looked at it comes with everything you need to get started straight away including a bag, paddle and pump making it a great affordable option for new paddlers.
#5. Perception Sound 10.5 Fishing Kayak
- The best value in sit-inside kayak fishing for larger paddlers; also great for general recreational use
- The Sound dashboard includes two mounting points for our Solo Mount accessory system
- Tri-keel hull creates ultimate stability and smooth steering
To finish, we have the Perception Sound 10.5-foot kayak which is another hardshell sit-inside kayak. It’s one of the bigger kayaks in our round-up coming in at 10.5 feet in length and 29.5 inches wide but even so, is surprisingly lightweight at 46 lbs. It sadly doesn’t have any dry compartments which is a shame but you could purchase a dry bag if you needed it. We love that it has two-rod holders and so is ideal for an angler looking for a cheap fishing kayak.